HSLS provides accommodations aimed at equalizing access to library services by providing equipment and computer resources in the library’s technology areas.
Accessible Computer Stations
- Windows 10 / Upper Floor: PEARL reading camera with OpenBook scanning software, keyboard guards, enlarged keyboard labels, trackball mouse, wrist rest for keyboard
- Mac OS / Upper Floor: enlarged keyboard labels, trackball mouse
- Height adjustable desks on the Main Floor accommodate wheelchairs and with tabletop power outlets for laptop use
- Additional equipment can be borrowed with valid Pitt ID: Focus 14 Blue Braille Display, mini one-handed keyboard, headphones
Installed Software and Resources
- Accessible Resources folder on each public computer provides links to software, browser extensions, and websites
- Installed software: JAWS (screen reader) , NVDA (screen reader), and NaturalReader (text-to-speech software)
- Browser Extensions: Beeline , StayFocusd , Time Tracker (time tracking & focus)
- Websites: Popplet (mind mapping), Readsy (focus on one word at a time), Rewordify (changes reading level), Spreeder (speed reading), Text2Speech (text-to-speech converter)
Assistance with equipment and resources in Falk Library is provided by contacting Technology Services.
Additional Resources on Pitt’s campus
- MAGic (screen magnification software) and Kurzweil 3000 (learning disability support software) on computers in Pitt IT Computing labs
- Braille embosser available at Hillman Library Computer Lab
- Pitt’s Office of Disability Resources and Services